manderly|rose on etsy

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Post Election Day Notes

I actually dozed off on Election night, before all the projections were done. I awoke in time to hear CNN declare a presidential winner. I'm glad I woke up, I would have hated to miss that! I watched the speeches and am now getting ready to go back to sleep. An early election night for a change. I mean, living in Florida, I really didn't know what to anticipate...

So here are my thoughts on the day. I live in Florida. I voted. I didn't vote early, I didn't vote absentee. I went to the polling place, on election day, and voted.

I understood my easy to use, if not HUGE ballot (I've never seen anything like it). Fill in the spot next to what/who you wish to vote for, run it through the scanner when done. Simple, easy. I'm sure even an somewhat trained monkey could figure it out. Hurray to the state for getting rid of those OTHER ballots!

I scoped out my district this morning, and saw that there were between 500 and 600 people total. I anticipated that the wait couldn't possibly be very long, so I voted after work. I was going to go this morning, but decided I didn't want to chance a morning line. I mean, voting is important, but so is being on time for work.

I parked my car at 6:35pm. I walked out, having finished the whole process (walking the long halls of the community center to get to the polling location took up most of my time), by 6:45pm. I don't know that I've ever gotten in and out that fast.

I voted for a number of things, not everything that was on the ballot. I wasn't informed enough, so I didn't feel comfortable casting a vote for everything. I'm funny that way. I only vote for things I think I understand (do we ever really understand everything?)

I remember voting for the first time in 1984. My mom made me read up on the issues, and she took me down on election day. She told me that I couldn't complain nor be happy with the results if I didn't participate. As has been the case for much of my life, mom was right. She repeated that same thing to me, more or less, tonight when I was on my way, having left work a little late, and hoping I was at least in line by 7pm. She cheered me on (via cell phone) so that I would get there in time. Without speeding or being unsafe of course. Yes, I was wearing my headset while talking on my phone.

I voted. I participated, was part of the process. I'm glad I took the time to do it.

No comments: