manderly|rose on etsy

Friday, September 26, 2008

A little bit about me...

I decided to start a blog to keep in touch with folks interested in manderly rose. It's a little shop on Etsy that sells some fun and unique things.

I have spent the past few months fine tuning what I might sell, designing the perfect solutions, and in some cases, giving friends some of my prototypes to test in the form of birthday and graduation gifts :-) This weekend I'll be posting my first items. I'm rather excited!

I love things that are handcrafted. There is something to be said for craftsmanship and the time and devotion to the craft that goes into it. I've come to believe that my finding Etsy was inevitable. A customer at the yarn shop I work at told me to check it out one afternoon. She was right, sooooo cool!

I live with two kitties, Max and Cleo. You will no doubt hear about them from time to time, as they keep me entertained, and they are wonderful company when I'm creating. Both like to sneak into the work space and get as close as possible. Both show no fear of rotary cutters or sewing machines, and love to lay on keyboards. They play fiercely, as you can see from the picture (Max is the one being pinned down).


I love to make things. I love fabric. The world of scrap booking intrigues me (the paper looks like fabric!). Knitting...something my grama taught me eons ago, and a dear friend re-introduced me to a few years back. Yarn is as cool as fabric! Sewing. I learned when I was 5 (thanks mom!) and have done it ever since. Clothes, accessories, home dec, I don't discriminate :-) More on the things I love in later posts.


You might be asking, "What's with the name manderlyrose?" I've been asked that a lot the past few weeks. When I was teenager, I read the book Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier. I loved that book. First of all, I was about 3/4 of the way through it before I realized that "Mrs de Winter" had no first name. Cool. Second, the name of the estate in the book was Manderly. I thought that was a wonderful name. Now you are asking, what about Rose? It's my favorite flower. White roses to be specific. Perfect white roses, with a little dew on them, perfection. Rose is a lovely name too, and the two have rolled around in my head for years looking for a home.

Oh ya, my name is Penny. My friend's kids nicknamed me Money. It stuck. I answer to either. Welcome to my creative world! http://www.manderlyrose.etsy.com/

~P

3 comments:

Stimmell said...

Yeah Miss Penny! I can't wait to see all of your fun stuff. Congrats on all of your hard work... I hope you keep having fun!
~Steph

janey jay said...

I'm SO proud of you -- both for Etsy and for blogging. And I'm a little addicted to both myself.

Perhaps we need to meet at Moon Under Water to celebrate ;-)

xoxox
jane (known as Citizen Jane in the blog world)

Rubeus Trelawney said...

Hey very cool start. Love the pics with the cats. Keep it up.

dale")